Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Twelve-Hour Layover in London





The flight to London was six hours from Cleveland, and I slept for maybe half of the time. The flight was pretty nice because I had three seats all to myself! Once we landed it was 9:30am in London and I took the underground to Leicester Square. There I met Elizabeth’s friend Alex who took me to brunch at a little local spot in Soho. We ate a really good breakfast and she showed me where to go to see all of the tourist hotspots. Then I went off on my own first heading to the National Portrait Gallery/ National Gallery. I spent a really long time at the galleries viewing so much amazing art - including Van Gogh’s Sunflowers which I love. Then right in front of the National Gallery is Trafalgar Square, which has a bunch of statues and fountains. Next I headed down to Big Ben and Parliament, which were so cool to see in real life! Finally, I headed down through St. James Park to see Buckingham Palace. The park was beautiful, but I personally thought the Palace was kind of a let down and boring. I thought Big Ben and Parliament were more impressive. I loved how old London looked. The architecture of all the buildings was gorgeous, especially of old churches. I also thought that the cabs were really cool because they look like old cars. After all of this walking I was really tired, especially because I took a really long detour trying to find Buckingham Palace (not on purpose). So I headed back to the airport on the underground and hung out for a while. I ordered a beer and a salad then fell asleep at my gate waiting for the plane. I woke up from an old man tapping me and telling me it was time to go… Good thing. It was an awesome day but also very long and tiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment